We asked Nancy Davis for audition advice -especially since Summer Ballet Intensive auditions are right on our heels!- and here are the top five attributes she looks for when auditioning dancers:
1. A student that really loves to dance and makes it very apparent to me; I want to watch him or her. A happy, smiling face goes far- plus it relaxes you!
2. A student that treats the audition like a performance: is attentive & focused plus follows direction well and learns the steps quickly.
3. A student that nails each finish after a pirouette. (And after every combination for that matter.) An important note to think about: your audience most remembers the beginning & end of a variation on stage or a combination in class!
4. A student that is musical.
5. A student that is cooperative.
More audition help coming soon! Good luck dancers!